By David Szydlowski
You can Find David Szydlowski on Google+
Ice Control Division Manager at the Duke Company
What Ice Melt is Safer for Concrete?
A frequently asked question to our Rock Salt & Ice Control experts is ‘what ice melt is safer for concrete’. First and foremost you should know that the process of freezing & unfreezing any surface, including concrete, will break it down over time. That said, ice melters with Magnesium Chloride are more gentle to concrete surfaces, landscaping, vegetation and pets.
This is backed up by empirical evidence as referenced by Wikipedia in a Purdue University study. Reference the study by:
- Jain, J., Olek, J., Janusz, A., and Jozwiak-Niedzwiedzka, D., “Effects of Deicing Salt Solutions on Physical Properties of Pavement Concretes”, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2290, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, D.C., 2012, pp. 69-75. DOI: 10.3141/2290-09
Many Ice Melters and Rock Salt solutions work in the same manner; they break the bond between the ice or snow by creating a brine solution that runs under the ice or snow. Magnesium Chloride is widely respected by Ice Control professionals for its ability to melt to -5 degrees Fahrenheit. It is used for both Commercial & Residential surfaces. As an additional note, Ice Melters with Magnesium Chloride have many, many benefits, but tend to be more expensive to use. Many of our customers use a range of Ice Melter solutions depending upon their specific needs.
Rock Salt & Ice Control HQ carries a range of Magnesium Chloride ice melters that are safer for concrete surfaces including:
- Safer Than Salt Commercial Ice Melt
- Safer Than Salt Enhanced Ice Melt
- Safer Than Salt Premium Ice Melt
- Safer Than Salt with CI-56 Ice Melt
Best Prices on Rock Salt & Ice Melters in New York and NYC
Sine 2004, the Duke Company proudly has earned an A+ reputation for outstanding customer service through-out New York including:
Call 585-496-4762 (ROC) to discuss which Ice Melter is best for your specific price, value and application needs.